St. Andrew’s Mission was founded by Grace Church, Manchester in 1889 to be a center for worship on the city’s west side. It was named for the Brotherhood of St. Andrew, to which a number of its founders belonged. The new congregation held its first service in Iron Hall on School Street.
In the fall of 1891, the foundation was laid for a chapel (now the parish hall) in which the first services were held on November 13, 1892. The work of the mission and the building of the chapel were financed, though not entirely supported, by Grace Church, and the clergy of Grace Church served St. Andrew’s until 1903. In 1920 the congregation achieved parish status.
As the congregation grew and needs changed, a larger church building became necessary. Memorial gifts, donations, and a $5,000 loan enabled the congregation to erect the present church building and rectory. Bishop William W. Niles laid the cornerstone for the church on October 13, 1912 and consecrated the completed building on September 2, 1913.
Years later a Rectory was built beside the church. Called ‘Founder’s House’ this brick residence now houses the church offices and a second floor rental apartment. Within the last decade the Diocese acquired a duplex home adjacent to the church parking lot which houses the church’s first floor Thrift Shop and a second floor rental apartment.